SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Parent Writes About Bathroom Accommodations for His Daughter

• ryan-berhar

June 20, 2019 at 6:32 pm

For me, especially as I’ve gotten older, a roll in shower is the answer. It has made things much easier. This is really the only accommodation my bathrooms have.

• krystal

July 10, 2019 at 8:21 am

I definitely have questions about this. My husband and I plan to move to a bigger home in the near future, and will probably have questions about how to remodel the bathroom. I think ideas I’ve seen from other families that have been helpful are floating sinks and a roll-in shower. I’m assuming having a bath chair or some kind of seating area in the shower would be best? My daughter sits unassisted but will need securement around her waist/chest because she tends to fall over after some time. I don’t think a bath tub is necessary at all, is that right? And I also think due having arm support surrounding the toilet will help my daughter. Any other thoughts? Is a floating toilet beneficial? What can be placed in the bathrooms to act as storage units that can be easily accessed?