• RULM Assessment

Posted by rachel-markley on July 29, 2019 at 12:57 pm

I’d like to talk RULM. I hate this assessment (yes, I know hate is a strong word). My biggest issue with it is reach – I can perform a lot of the tasks if the item is in reach but because I’m not allowed to elevate my chair high enough, most of it isn’t in reach. After speaking with my new OT she thinks it’s unfair for adults because of contractures, etc. Thoughts? Suggestions?

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

July 29, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Rachel, I know exactly what you mean. This particular test is by far the most frustrating part of my Spinraza evaluations. My OT is great, but it’s very difficult to meet the expectations of this assessment.

I usually just try to score high on everything else. Do you do the pencil test where you have to draw a line through a maze? I’ve been doing well on that one.

• rachel-markley

July 29, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Kevin, I have that too but struggle to use the average #2 pencil. Do they allow you to move your paper?

• kevin-schaefer

July 29, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, I can move the paper, which helps a lot.

• ryan-berhar

July 29, 2019 at 5:48 pm

I’m not even sure what that is, but frankly anything involving OTs has always annoyed me to death. I hate to say it, I know there are good ones, but they’re kind of out of touch in my experience.