SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students SMA didn’t ruin my college experience

• kevin-schaefer

May 22, 2018 at 9:40 am

College definitely takes some additional effort and preparation for a person with SMA to navigate. Nevertheless, my college years were some of the best years of my life. Every challenge I faced was worth the friendships I made at NC State University and the experiences I had there.

My biggest advice for students with SMA (and just students in general) is to get involved in campus life and find a good group of people to connect with. Obviously academics are important, but there are so many opportunities for students that go well beyond the classroom. Join student organizations and explore the things you’re passionate about. Like Alyssa writes about here, getting involved helped her meet people and not spend all of her time going to class and doing homework.

If anyone has questions about going to college, navigating campus, getting assistance or anything else, please feel free to reach out to me.