SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Summer Must Haves

• Summer Must Haves

Posted by deann-r on May 6, 2022 at 10:00 am

Transitioning into summer mode I’m breaking out the necessities like sunscreen and carefully tucking away all my heated products. Hopefully in a memorable location. It’s always a gamble when I put something away if I’ll ever see it again. Anyway, I’m always on the lookout for easy-to-use products. Do you have any summer favorites? A favorite sunscreen? Insect repellant? Clothing brand? I’d have to say my favorite “summer” product is my bone conduction headphones. They have a magnetic charger, so I can charge them myself!

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • terry-orozco

May 6, 2022 at 5:43 pm

I am so excited for Summer it’s my favorite season.

• deann-r

May 9, 2022 at 9:27 am

Me too! It seems like it took so long to get here this year. What are you looking forward to most?

• alyssa-silva

May 7, 2022 at 7:35 pm

I don’t necessarily have a favorite brand, my go-to’s during the summer are maxi dresses. So simple to slip on. And without even trying they make you look presentable and fashionable ha. Amazon has a lot of cute ones!

• deann-r

May 9, 2022 at 9:31 am

That awesome! I always envy those who can wear maxi dresses. Often we use my clothing as positioning aids, so a dress makes that difficult. Do you find what you wear changes how you’re positioned?

• alyssa-silva

May 9, 2022 at 9:46 am

I haven’t experienced that. But I do know that the bulkier or heavier material on my arms makes it more difficult to drive my chair. One of the many perks of summer is that I can wear sleeveless or strapless tops and dresses to combat this.

• tammy

May 10, 2022 at 3:04 pm

I have the same method unfortunately LOL. Wish there was a better way than ripping all of my clothes at some point but nobody seems to be able to do it any other way. I have to have them yank on my waistbands in order to get my hips scooted back all the way because everybody for some reason likes to put me on the edge of my seat in a lying down position rather than putting me down into the chair in a sitting position. I don’t really get it. How do people think I’m supposed to sit up in a chair if they’re putting me in to it laying down and half falling out LOL. I mean they don’t sit down into a chair like that themselves so I don’t really understand why they would put somebody else in that way. But I have found a little bit of a hack for dresses and skirts. I put on a pair of cotton shorts underneath and then have them feel for the waistband and scoot me with that

• alyssa-silva

May 10, 2022 at 8:56 pm

Shorts are a great idea! They also come in handy if you’re wearing shorter dresses and getting transferred out in public.  That way no one gets a free show if ya know what I mean ????

• delphine-andrews

June 29, 2022 at 3:41 pm

So I have recently tried a new hack because I am tired of all my skirts and pants getting ripped. I bought a set of black cotton pillowcases and lay one over my cushion before getting in the chair. Then my care providers use the pillowcase to move me where I need to go. So far it has been working well.

• alyssa-silva

June 29, 2022 at 7:23 pm

That’s a great idea! Does it make your bottom sweatier because it’s summer? That would be my only issue because I always overheat during the summertime.

• delphine-andrews

June 30, 2022 at 2:51 pm

no not too bad. I like that if I am sweaty, I can just get a new pillowcase rather than having to wash and change the cushion cover.

• alyssa-silva

June 30, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Definitely! Didn’t even think of that. Makes a lot more sense. Love this hack ????