• Taking Credit

Posted by deann-r on July 22, 2022 at 9:00 am

While at Mom’s during my home renovation we worked on projects. Sometimes it’s her project, sometimes it’s mine. This time I chose the project, a cute cork wallet. I selected the pattern, and material and punched up the YouTube video.

After printing and cutting out the pieces from cardstock my physical abilities reached their limit. Handing the project over to Mom, I told her how it went together as we went along per the instructions. It turned out pretty cute despite some aggravation with some pieces shifting.

Here’s my question, do I take credit for the project? On one hand, it is my project. On the other hand, Mom did make it. Most likely if someone asks if I made it, I’d say Mom and I did. I don’t want to sell myself short because I had a lot to do with it, but I didn’t do it alone. Do you take the credit? At what point do you share the credit?

Oh, and if you listen to a book from Audible do you take credit for reading the book?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • adam

July 22, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Great question. I’ve been wrestling with the same thoughts but around cooking. I have cooked and loved cooking since I was a little kid. All my mum, grandparents, aunties, uncles etc. could cook but by about 17 I was better and that became my thing; family gathering? What’s Adam got on the menu?

It took me ages but I loved preparing everything. Chopping it all just right, all that meticulous boring stuff most hate, I loved, was like meditation.

Now I can’t do any of it. I’ve still got all the ideas, techniques and everything else to make good food in my head.I can direct someone else how to do most that stuff pretty well (frustratingly never to my liking lol) but no matter how good the dish turns out I never get the same satisfaction as I did being hands-on.

Basically it’s always a “we made this” approach from me. Unless they really didn’t listen and stuffed it all up, then it’s all on them haha

• dennis-turner

July 22, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Take credit for all you did, including the impetuous to do this or any project. Then give a grateful thank you for whoever came alongside to help finish it.

• alyssa-silva

July 23, 2022 at 9:14 pm

This is something I always go back and forth on. Initially, I’ll usually say that I did it. But then I retract my statement and correct myself saying we both did it (whoever “we” is). I usually follow it up by saying I’m the brains behind the project.