SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Tending to Your Child’s Social Needs

• Tending to Your Child’s Social Needs

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 8, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Hey everyone, hope you all are doing well. I just wanted to share Michael Casten’s column from this week: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/08/08/sma-ella-makes-new-friend-social-development-cognitive-abilities/?amp.

I like what he has to say about his daughter Ella’s social needs, and how this aspect of her life is just as important as her physical health. It can be hard to find that balance, especially when you as parents and caregivers have so many other things to attend to. Nevertheless, as an adult with SMA I’m glad that my parents never kept me from having an active social life. It’s important to give your kids social opportunities early on so that they can be more independent as they get older.

Here’s my favorite excerpt from this column: “Ella has the same need for friends and socialization as any other child does. She thrives on playing with her new friend. It’s important for parents of kids with SMA to treat every aspect of their child, including their social development. Yes, the wheelchair can pose some tricky logistics, but there’s always a solution to be found.”

If you are a parent of someone with SMA, what things do they do with their friends? What questions do you have?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.