Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DeAnn R
      Keymaster

At a glance it’s pretty obvious I’m disabled.  Although disability is a part of me it doesn’t define me.  That’s what I like about Katie Napiwocki’s latest column, Finding My Voice Within the Disabled Community. Having SMA is part of who she is, but it’s not all of who she is. It does allow her to make connections and even advocate for the disabled community. Sometimes though it’s nice to just be as she puts it, ” a gloriously ordinary human.”

What are your views on the concept of disability? Can you compartmentalize it in your lives?

Ariana Dindzans
      Participant

For me personally, I prefer not to compartmentalize my disability (I could if I wanted to – I’m very good at compartmentalizing lol). Sure, my disability isn’t the only thing about me, but it also affects everything I do. I’ve found solace in fully embracing my disabled identity and immersing myself in the disabled community. I love being disabled. It’s who I am. And if I don’t love who I am, then what’s the point? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holly
      Participant

i agree with ariana. i have an identity and a culture that Is unique to those around me. its also made me pay more attention to social issues and i feel like i’m a better person because of it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Verify you are not a robot