SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Tip for Using the Vest Airway Clearance System

• Tip for Using the Vest Airway Clearance System

Posted by kevin-schaefer on October 5, 2018 at 7:00 am

I posted yesterday about how my pulmonary levels have been strong lately, and part of this is due to me using the vest and cough assist regularly. I just wanted to share a quick tip for using the vest.

Of the two devices, the vest is the more time-consuming. It’s not particularly difficult to use, but each session is 20 minutes. I used to neglect it because I just had trouble finding time in the day to do a vest session. Recently though, I started putting my vest machine in my bathroom and doing vest sessions while I’m on the toilet. It may seem weird, but I have to say it saves me a lot of time. Going to the bathroom at night or in the morning is already a time-consuming process, so I may as well knock out a vest session while I’m there. Plus, if I need to cough up while I’m on the vest, it’s easier to do so in the bathroom than it is in my room with my caregiver holding a spit cup.

I also like to take care of all my medical and hygiene needs in one place. Getting all of that stuff taken care of in the bathroom is nice. Then in my Bat-Cave (which is what I call my room/home office), I am free to work, read, relax, watch movies, etc.

I just wanted to share this little tip with you all. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.