SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Relationship With Your Caregiver

• deann-r

August 7, 2018 at 9:51 am

Great tips Kevin.  Having had caregivers a majority of my life I think it’s really important to have a good working relationship with them.  At times it’s difficult to manage life along with PCA’s, but your tips can make that easier.  I think your tip #5 should be your tip #1.  I have a PCA who goes above and beyond.  She’s willing to fill in for others, come in if I need something (I try to keep it to a minimum, but when nature calls…) and if she’s at a store and knows I’ve been looking for something she’ll pick it up.  I always thank her, but sometimes that doesn’t seem sufficient.  I have gotten her gift cards as well.  I believe this was a forum topic before, but if you have any other gestures to thank caregivers I’m all ears!

• kevin-schaefer

August 7, 2018 at 10:33 am

Thanks DeAnn! Yeah good point. It really is vital to show as much appreciation as you can. Fortunately my caregiver and I are good friends, but yeah a really good PCA can be hard to come across. Do everything you can to hold on to them.