SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Transitioning to a Lift and New Caregivers

• deann-r

November 15, 2018 at 11:23 am

I hated the lift when we first started using one.  It is time consuming, uncomfortable and I don’t have a ceiling lift (yet) so it’s bulky and unsightly.  But as I’ve gotten older I’ve realized it’s a lot to ask of a person to put your comfort ahead of their own well being.  Sure, a lift has it’s own challenges, but it can safely get things done.  Let’s face it, isn’t almost everything when you’re disabled more time consuming?

As far as Ryan mentioning needing two people, yes it makes things easier, but I do transfers with only 1 person.  Nursing homes and hospitals require two, but it’s not a requirement at home.

• kevin-schaefer

November 15, 2018 at 11:53 am

I agree completely with DeAnn. I think the sooner you start using a lift, the better. It’s very time-consuming at first, but it gets better. Plus, the ceiling lift is way easier to use than other models.

Also, I know you told me you’ve been having issues with getting government services to provide you with caregivers. However, while you’re figuring that out, you could pay for caregivers out of pocket to work a few hours a week. Nursing students and people who just got out of CNA school are always looking for work.

• kevin-schaefer

November 15, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Also, I read the line about having to waste so much time to go to the bathroom. Have you considered my advice about wearing a catheter? I put an external catheter on every morning, and I’m set for the day. The only times I have to get out of my chair are when I go to bed and when I have to go to the bathroom for a bowel movement. Though with the latter, I usually set aside time to go either in the morning or at night when my caregiver is with me.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 15, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Yes, everything is time consuming, which is precisely why I don’t want to compound the issue.  As far as the two person issue, I’m hoping that my caregiver can operate the lift and support my back at the same time,  because the ceiling left has a remote type thing, which means you don’t have to turn the knob like hoyer lifts have. I think the catheter is a good idea in certain situations, but the thing is I need to get out of my chair every few hours or else I’ll get sore.  Sitting in my chair all day long is just not an option unfortunately. I think a catheter would be most useful for me when traveling