SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students Traveling Home For Holidays

• Traveling Home For Holidays

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 1, 2018 at 12:00 pm

For those of you who go to a school that’s either out-of-state or significantly far from where you live, I’m curious how you manage going home for long weekends and holidays. I commuted from home throughout my time as a student, so it wasn’t an issue.

For those of you who do this though, how often do you go home? What tips do you have for traveling home? How do you coordinate with your caregivers?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • shaneradcliffe

September 5, 2018 at 8:20 am

My son has the same week plan Kevin ! My family lives in London & my son getting education in Cardiff high school and on every weekend he come home to live with us for that he leaves his school in the afternoon & comes to home in the evening & again leaves home in the sunday evening to attend his classes this is what he follows as his class often close early on Fridays. He usually uses booking com discount code for his travelling purposes.

Thanks

• kevin-schaefer

September 5, 2018 at 10:05 am

That’s great! Thanks for the tip about booking.com too.

• deann-r

September 5, 2018 at 10:16 am

My college was a little over 2 hours away.  On long weekends and holidays my parents would usually make the trek to pick me up.  At the time I was going through an agency so they didn’t mind not having to staff a weekend.  It’s tough when you see others able to hitch a ride with friends, but we worked it out.

• kevin-schaefer

September 5, 2018 at 11:14 am

Yeah I imagine there are definitely pros and cons to living away from home. I had been set on NC State since high school, but ECU was my backup. It’s about an hour and a half from where I live, and my Mom and I would’ve stayed near campus during the week and gone home on the weekends if I had done that. Fortunately I got into State, so it all worked out.