SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Traveling Internationally

• Traveling Internationally

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 5, 2020 at 7:03 am

Ever traveled overseas before?

As many of us know, traveling when you’re in a wheelchair can be equally rewarding as it is frustrating. I’ve been there many a time, but I would do it all over again for the experience.

Zoe Watson shared her experiences with us for 31 days of SMA. She currently resides in Australia and has traveled to many countries over the years. After reading her words, I have a serious case of wanderlust.

Have you traveled internationally before? What was it like? I’ve been to Portugal a few times and dealt with inaccessibility issues and other random things. One time I accidentally blew out my BiPAP machine even with the proper electrical converters. That was not fun. In the end, the trip was still SO worth it.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • patrick-lenihan

August 5, 2020 at 10:29 pm

I have traveled to Mexico, Canada, England, The Netherlands and France. Europe had less architectural accessibility than we had back when I went 22 years ago, but the peoples’ attitudes toward disabled people were much more enlightened than what I experienced here. Whenever I encountered a barrier people offered to help before I had a chance to ask.  Nobody made me feel like a burden for needing help. I loved it over there.

When you went to Portugal, did you ever go to the Azores? My mother’s family was from Sao Miguel. I hope to one day go there.

• alyssa-silva

August 6, 2020 at 9:32 am

Wow I’m surprised that you’re saying this. Everyone in Portugal gawked at me to the point where I was mildly annoyed. Good to know you had different experiences in other countries!

My father’s family is from Sao Miguel as well, but I’ve never been to the Azores. My mother is from the central Portugal area, so we would stay there and then head to a small beach town where my grandparents had a condo.