SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Typing with Limited Arm Strength

• Typing with Limited Arm Strength

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 13, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Hi everyone.

So I’m 24 with Type II, and my arm strength is pretty limited. Given that I’m a writer, I have to make due with what I have. For a while now I’ve been typing primarily on my phone, as it’s too difficult for me to type on a computer or even my iPad at this point.

For those of you who are SMA adults with limited arm strength, what do you use to type/write? I know there are apps out there and voice-activation devices, but I’m curious to know the pros and cons of each. Ideally I’d like to get some strength back through Spinraza so that I can type on my iPad again, but currently it takes up too much energy.

Also feel free to ask questions here as well.

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • esther-collington

March 14, 2018 at 9:48 am

Hello Kevin

I use an on-screen keyboard (with mouse) on my PC. I’ve tried voice recognition but found it too difficult and time consuming.

By the way, I live in England and adults don’t get Spinraza here.

• kevin-schaefer

March 14, 2018 at 11:48 am

Thanks Esther!

Yeah I’m looking into an on-screen keyboard. I also think the voice-recognition software is far too time-consuming.

And that’s unfortunate. I hope the treatment gets approved for adults in England soon!

• david-z

April 6, 2018 at 9:17 am

I found normal voice recognition didn’t understand me well enough to be efficient. So I programmed my own specialized voice recognition, and mostly type by spelling with the NATO alphabet. It works well (and quickly with practice), and lets me use the computer from any position.

• david-z

March 21, 2018 at 5:58 am

As an alternative to an on-screen keyboard, Dasher is great.

http://www.inference.org.uk/dasher/

• kevin-schaefer

April 8, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’ll look into it.