• Using a BiPAP

Posted by ajay on June 4, 2021 at 4:03 am

Hi,

I have SMA type II and I am 43 years old. I currently use a BiPAP at night and it has taken me nearly 4 years to get used to it. I still have some difficulties using it occasionally and would like to speak to someone who is currently using it to share some experiences. Is there anyone here that uses a BiPAP?

yvette-haas replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

June 4, 2021 at 9:03 am

Hi Ajay. I’ve been on BiPAP for 29 years. What sort of questions do you have?

• ajay

June 6, 2021 at 8:17 am

One of the biggest problems I have using a BiPAP is finding a comfortable mask. I have tried so many masks such as nasal masks but they hurt the bridge of my nose and other masks seem to leak during the night. At the moment I have been using a P10 mask but that as started to cause some soreness around my septum on my nose.

The other issue I have is not knowing whether I should use a humidifier in the summer or not? I tend to use it during the winter because if I don’t use it then I seem to catch a cold or cold like symptoms.

Would you have any recommendations of any masks or how to deal with issues with using a humidifier?

Thanks

• alyssa-silva

June 7, 2021 at 10:43 am

Hi Ajay. I struggle with finding a mask as well. I have only ever been able to use one mask and that is the FlexiFit 406 mask shown here. It creates a decent seal, but every once in a while there is a leak if I’m repositioned and the mask shifts the wrong way. Even with this mask, I’ve experienced skin breakdown— not all the time though. When I start to notice an irritation I use these gel-like pads which do the trick.

I use my humidifier year-round! Just lessen the intensity of it because otherwise the BiPAP will create too much moisture and mist will start to go up your nose. Not ideal. Hope this helps!

• ajay

June 10, 2021 at 10:41 am

Thank you for the reply. My humidifier only has 3 settings and I have set it to the lowest. When you say that the mist goes up your nose if the humidifier is set to high, what happens? Lately, I’ve been finding that I keep having moisture in my nose and it feels like I have a cold but I don’t. Could the humidifier be causing that?

• alyssa-silva

June 10, 2021 at 1:29 pm

I could see that, yes. I am such a light sleeper so I catch if the humidity is too high in time to know for sure if that could be the cause. Sounds kind of funny, but it feels like the tube is spitting at my nose and wakes me up.

• yvette-haas

June 14, 2021 at 10:52 pm

If you have trouble with the humidity condensing, try covering the tube. They do make tube covers, but I just put a little blanket over most of the tube once I’m in bed.