• Posted by emma on March 9, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Hey!<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

It’s the first topic i’m creating and well i guess the title is pretty clear but I wanted to talk about all the trouble we can get as uterus owners and how it mixes with SMA

First I really think that the whole period and contraception thing should really not be a taboo but i get it if you’re not comf talking about it, i just hope i don’t talk all by myself here haha

Soo i’ve wanted to ask you how do you handle your period? I know for me it’s always been pretty complicated, i feel like having SMA is like living in a precarious balance in the sense that when everything is okay ( enough sleep, pulmonary exercices, eating well, the planets being nice) it can be fine but like a small little thing can throw all of it away and make my body do weird reactions and completely freak out, well every month it’s my period that messes everything up, besides the terrible cramps i get a lot of side effects, like nausea,big headaches, feeling exhausted all the time,random muscular pain and also i’ve noticed that literally everytime i fell sick during the last few years, from a little cold to the flu it started when on my period so i think it generally makes me more weak. So there’s the aspect of my body really not handling well that and also the more practical like not being able to got as often as i wish to the toilet because of the hours of help i get, so having to deal with menstrual protections and stains and everything.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

What about you? How does your body handle your period ? Is it linked to SMA or does my uterus simply hates me? Also have you got any tips for managing the flow when you can’t change that often?

Lately I decided to get rid of my period i’ve started taking the pill (without pauses) well for the moment it’s really not a success but i guess it’s the time to figure the right one for me. Are any of you under the pill? Was it hard finding the right one? I know it was a bit complicated to convince a doctor to do a prescription because of the whole SMA thing although i don’t really see the link..

Anyway would love to get your feedbacks and tips and mutual struggles on these topics 🙂

krystal replied 5 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

March 9, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Emma, thanks for being so open with bringing up this topic. I HATED getting my period. When I was around 18, I think, I started getting the Depo shot. It’s worked amazingly well for me although I know it’s not for everyone. Long term it’s not great for your bones, but I feel the risks are worth the benefits. I haven’t had any of the negative side effects some experience.

One thing I would suggest is getting your iron levels checked. A heavy flow can cause Anemia, and that can leave us susceptible to colds & such. Otherwise I don’t have much advice for you. Well, maybe keep chocolate handy.

• halsey-blocher

March 9, 2019 at 10:33 pm

I also take Depo and it works really well for me too. I tried pills, and that never helped at all. There is only an occasional small amount of bleeding on Depo, so you wouldn’t have to worry so much about getting to the bathroom frequently or staining clothes. I think it’s very beneficial. I would recommend asking your doctor about it.

• krystal

March 14, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Hey Emma,

So I do not have SMA, but my 15-month daughter does. I lurk these forums often. I wanted to let you know that although I do not have SMA, lots of women without SMA experience your menstrual symptoms, to the point where it is very life-draining and very difficult to manage daily activities. You can certainly take the pill every day without taking the inactive pills, and it will “get rid” of your period. It does take time for this, though. It takes about 3-8 months of religiously taking the pill to fully adjust. The more “religious” you are in taking your pill at the same time each day, the quicker your body will adjust to the medication. During that time, you can have spotty periods, or you might skip one month but get it the second month. Besides myself, I know of some ladies who will skip periods for YEARS (and go on to have zero problems with fertility when they want to have babies).

I have probably tried 5 different kinds of birth control pills, since I was 18 (10 years ago). I’ve taken ones with high estrogen, ones with low estrogen, and ones with no estrogen. I’ve taken ones that are 21 days active pills and 7 days inactive, and I’ve taken ones where you take 90 days of active pills straight and then take 7 inactive pills to get a cycle every 3 months. I switched to all of these different kinds of pills because my body reacted differently to all of them. Some I liked, some I hated. It may take just one kind of pill to decide that it’s working great for you, or it could take a couple more tries. But you should give it about 3 months for your body to adjust to see if this pill is working for you or not. Also, depending on the pill, your periods could get lighter and you won’t cramp as much…or, it could make your periods worse. I’ve taken a birth control where, all of a sudden, after 3 months of being on it, I would get a heavy cycle that lasted 7 days and it would occur EVERY. OTHER. WEEK. OMG, let me tell you, I DEFINITELY got rid of that pack and got a new one straight away. It all depends on how your body handles the medication, and unfortunately, it means trial and error.

If you want to consider other options, I know ladies who have the birth control implant, which is a thin bar that is inserted into your arm (that no one notices), and you can pretty much “get it and forget it”. It provides a steady dose of progesterone into the body and you don’t need to replace it for 5 years! These ladies say their periods are lighter, less cramps and nausea, and a couple have said they stopped getting a period altogether. And I know a couple of ladies who got the implant, decided they want a baby, so they got the implant removed and in 3-5 months they got pregnant.

Hope this helps!