• Posted by kevin-schaefer on December 17, 2018 at 11:01 am

First off, my apologies to everyone here for being a little more absent than usual over the past week. The past few days have been a rollercoaster for me, to say the least. I mentioned the other day in another post that I’ve been dealing with a kidney stone, which I’m still trying to get rid of. I’m on painkillers as needed, and I’m setting up an appointment with my urologist to get an x-ray done, so hopefully all of that will be taken care of soon. I took it easy this weekend and got plenty of rest.

However, the real gut-puncher came yesterday morning. I woke up to learn that a good friend with SMA passed away. His name was Carson, and he had been in and out of the hospital for the past few months battling an infection. I actually interviewed him here a few months ago: https://smanewstoday.com/forums/forums/topic/college-students-sma-carson-berry/.

I’ve known others with SMA who have gone on before, but this one especially hit me. Carson was a friend, he and I had just talked about a week and a half ago, and he was younger than me. I knew he was in poor condition, but it’s still surreal that he’s gone. I’m comforted by the fact that he’s no longer in pain, but I will miss him.

I don’t have much else to say right now other than that I am grateful to be surrounded by a strong SMA community everyday. If anything, Carson’s passing motivates me to keep working harder. He and I shared an equally irreverent sense of humor, and he loved my articles. I can’t say the coming days will be easy, but he would be disappointed if I didn’t remember him by cracking inappropriate jokes and watching Ron White specials. I’ll be sure to do both my friend.

College Students With SMA: Carson Berry

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

December 17, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Sorry for your loss Kevin.  Although I didn’t know Carson, I know it’s never easy loosing a friend.  With SMA we have so many health related ups and downs.  Typically we bounce back, so it can be a shock when someone we know doesn’t.  It’s good you have happy memories and you always have a support network here.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.  Kidney stones suck!

• kevin-schaefer

December 17, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Thank you. Yeah, it’s tough, but I’m glad he doesn’t have to suffer anymore.

And indeed they do. I was able to get an x-ray done today, so hopefully those will provide some indication of where the stone is now. I am in much less pain now, but just a little disoriented from both the stone and the meds. Trying to get rid of it and back to normal soon.

• ryan-berhar-2

December 17, 2018 at 6:27 pm

My condolences.

• adnan-hafizovic

December 18, 2018 at 11:34 am

My condolences also.Everyone with SMA it seems has some problems with stones.I have one suggestion,maybe these theme is dark,but  it would be good that we talk about euthanasia.I don’t have special opinion about that,but some countries have that option for people which they are very ill and in bad condition.

• kevin-schaefer

December 18, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Thanks.

And it’s not anywhere near that serious, but thanks for the suggestion. I actually got an x-ray done yesterday, and they said there’s no new stones there. Might just be a stomach issue or something. I may visit my primary doctor soon.