SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology What’s your wheelchair maintenance routine?

• What’s your wheelchair maintenance routine?

Posted by deann-r on July 21, 2023 at 9:30 am

For wheelchair users, do you have an upkeep routine for your chair?

It’s no secret I’m not fond of my F3. One reason is because of how hard it is to keep clean. It has more nooks and crannies than any chair I’ve ever had.

Although I like textured footplates, they’re impossible to clean. I’ve heard of folks giving them a fresh coat of spray paint, but that sounds like a hassle.

For the rest of the chair, if I have an appointment, we wipe it down with a car cloth (it has nubbins to get into those crevices). Sometimes we use disinfecting wipes. I also Febreze soft surfaces. Because it never gets placed back properly, I try to avoid changing the cushion cover, so Febreze extends its life.

Any tips or tricks I don’t know about?

alyssa-silva replied 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

July 22, 2023 at 9:31 am

Oh god. This is so relevant in my life right now. My mom gave me a haircut the other day, and there are so many hairs in the nooks and crannies. I have an F3 that I don’t particularly love either.

We vacuum the chair as well as use wipes. We hardly ever wash the seat covers. Have you tried using a lint roller on the cloth parts? That might help too.

• deann-r

July 26, 2023 at 9:19 am

Lint roller is a great idea. I never think to use it but would probably work great for the kitty hairs that cling to the backrest. For the haircut bits you could try a blow drier too. My beautician used one and I was surprised how much hair it got off. Have you ever tried those blobs that look like slime but stick to dust and junk? I’ve seen them used in cars but haven’t had the nerve to try it.

• alyssa-silva

August 2, 2023 at 1:03 pm

I haven’t, but a blow dryer is another great idea! The wind works too haha.