SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Who’s Dropping the Ball?

• Who’s Dropping the Ball?

Posted by deann-r on April 7, 2021 at 2:00 pm

It’s difficult to know who’s dropping the ball when you can’t figure out whose quart it’s in.  Sorry for the basketball reference, I just have it on my mind since long story short I had to watch some March Madness.  Can you believe that buzzer beater shot in the Gonzaga overtime game?  Anyway back to my dilemma.  After years of coverage my insurance is no longer covering my acid reflux medication.  Apparently you can get all the ingredients otc (over the counter.)  Never mind it has to be compounded so I can take it through my feeding tube.  Therefore I’m working on getting a PA (prior authorization.)  My pharmacy is telling me to contact the clinic and my clinic is telling me to contact the pharmacy.  Why do I have to be the go between.  Can’t they communicate with each other?  Apparently not.  Do you go through coverage struggles?  Any tips?

kip-troendle replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • kip-troendle

April 7, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Hi DeAnn.  When I encounter a situation as this, I LOVE saying “Hold one moment please, I’ll call the other party right now while I have you on the phone…”.  I put my cell phone on speaker and place it by my computer to make a Skype call.  I grab some popcorn and wait for the final shot (sorry, couldn’t reset the metaphor)!