SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Heart Bypass Surgery

• Heart Bypass Surgery

Posted by jim-schneider on July 23, 2019 at 3:37 pm

I am fairly new to this forum and I have found it interesting and informative.

It is really hard to find information on dealing with life’s “normal” medical issues as an Adult with SMA.  Last year I had a surgery and it was discovered I couldn’t be intubated normally, my head wouldn’t tilt back far enough to get the tube down my throat!  Since then I have found this is common with SMA patients but who knew.

Today I found out I need heart bypass surgery due to multiple blockages.  At 64 I guess these things happen.  So my question is has anyone with SMA on this forum been through this.  Just tying to get an idea what to expect; especially recovery issues; losing muscle strength; things to watch out for because I am a heart patient who happens to also have SMA.

We are living longer all the time and will have to deal with more and more of these “normal” medical issues but as I have discovered multiple times it is always a little different than “normal” when you also have SMA!!

deann-r replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dennis-turner

July 23, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Can’t say I have had heart bypass, but anytime you are restricted in your activity levels I would expect to lose muscle tone which may or may not come back.

I am close to your age and am starting to experience typical age related issues not directly to SMA. In the past few years I have needed treatment for prostate cancer and swollen legs from venous reflux.

Thank God for a good support team to help pick up where I can no longer do things.

• deann-r

July 23, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I’m on a medication for fast heart rate, but I avoid doctors as much as possible, so not sure if I have issues beyond that. Last time I was in the hospital they had difficulty intubating because my jaw doesn’t open wide enough. They figured it out though.

Somewhere I heard for every day a person is in the hospital it takes a week to recover. I would double if not triple that for those of us with SMA.

Best of luck with everything. Keep us posted.