Tagged: 

• Posted by ryan-berhar on July 25, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Hey everyone, I thought I’d go for a more low key topic today. Do any of you have tattoos? I have three, including my newest one which I got last Tuesday. All are on my right arm, and each one hurt more than the last, but still not excruciating by any means. My artist sprayed some lidocaine on my arm the most recent time which helped. What were your experiences like? I’m also kind of a veteran now, so I’m happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • kelly-miller

July 25, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Ryan, congrats on your new tattoo! They are addictive, making it very difficult to refrain from getting more after that first one. What all do you have? Where on your arm did you put them?

I never had lidocaine put on my skin before getting mine. I have 7 spread out on all 4 arms & legs. I have an ankh (cross with the loop at the top – Egyptian symbol for life) just above my left knee; I have a seahorse just above my right ankle; my first 1 ever is a peace sign with a rose thru it (I had no idea what to get back then) on the top of my lower right arm; on the outside of my upper right arm, I have a yin-yang sign; to balance out, I have a decorative cross on the outside of my upper left arm; on the lower left arm just below the elbow, I have a Sunburst (I call it that bc it has lots of colors with rays shooting out); my most recent is on the back of my left hand, a lotus flower in watercolor. That’s the only one I’ve done in that coloring. I can’t decide if I want more like that or more with the traditional outlines.

I haven’t SMA friend who has an amazing entire sleeve, but I felt like my arms are too skinny to put any kind of theme design all over them. It would be way cool tho!

• ryan-berhar

July 26, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Thanks, Kelly! On my upper arm I have a cross with a ribbon around it. The ribbon says “one day at a time” on it. A year later I got clouds and rays around the cross. It’s really just one big design, but I usually say I have three tattoos total. My most recent one is on my forearm. It’s a lion with a fire mane.

Crystal, I don’t see any reason why it’d be unsafe. Most of us are pretty skinny, but I don’t think it’s a problem. You just have less area to work with. Also, infection isn’t a concern as long as you don’t go to a dump lol. Just gotta do some research.

And Halsey, my artist is the same way. I give him references and everything, but beyond that I let him take quite a bit of artistic liberties. They know better than us with these things.

• survivinglife

July 25, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Wow. Kelly, your tattoos sound so cool! I don’t have any but I want some so bad! My mom and I looked into it, and didn’t think it’d be safe for me. I’m extremely skinny and have very little places to get tattoos. Plus, I might get an infection and I can’t have that. I want a tattoo though. 🙁
    Although, I AM a very indecisive person so I have no idea what I’d end up getting. Lol

• kelly-miller

July 25, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Crystal, you don’t look any skinnier than me, in fact you might be a little bigger. You’d be surprised how small or how well they can adjust anything you want to get. If it’s 1 of your dreams, go for it! Like I said, I have several & none have ever gotten infected or made me sick. Just make sure you go to a place where you’ve gotten a referral from a friend or someone who’s been to that same place. You’ll know when you go in whether it feels right or not. If you get a bad vibe once you’re inside, just casually peruse the tattoo examples they will probably have on their walls and politely tell them you’ll be back another time. I’ve had to walk out before because it didn’t feel like the tattoo artist was willing to work with me or just didn’t have a good attitude.

• halsey-blocher

July 25, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Ryan I love your new one! Your artist is very talented! I have one. A butterfly with the SMA ribbon in the center. I’ve been considering getting another. The hard part is deciding what. My artist is really good at putting his own twist on whatever design he’s given which is great because I don’t really want to copy anything that has already been done.

• deann-r

July 26, 2019 at 9:33 am

I have two tattoos. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted. I have a hibiscus flower on my right forearm and a cat & dog outline on my left wrist. I’d definitely get another someday.