SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Service Dog Organization Recommendations?

• Service Dog Organization Recommendations?

Posted by alyssa-silva on December 13, 2022 at 11:08 am

Right now, I’m sadly going through the process of considering a new service dog. I found out mine has cancer a few weeks ago, and there isn’t much time left for her. I’m absolutely gutted. I don’t know yet if I want another service dog, but I’m doing some research just in case. 

Where did you get your service dog? Were you impressed with the training process? Any info would be helpful.

deann-r replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • f-tracy-farmer

December 13, 2022 at 4:08 pm

I received my dog from Canine Assistants in Georgia. They are a great organization. The only thing negative I can say is they have a 5 year wait list. The wait is because they do not sell their dogs, instead they give their dogs to their recipients.

Tracy

• alyssa-silva

December 14, 2022 at 7:03 pm

That’s where I got my last two service dogs. I think they’re awesome too. Their waitlist is what’s keeping me from reapplying, unfortunately.

• deann-r

December 14, 2022 at 9:51 am

I’m so sorry to hear this Alyssa. It’s a tough thing to go through. Your SD was through Canine Companions if I’m not mistaken, right? They are the best in my opinion, although I feel they’ve shifted their focus a bit on who they serve. It’s also a lot of work and commitment going through the program. If I want a dog in my life having it be a service dog is important to me. Each dog has their unique personalities and I’ve loved each and every one of mine.

• alyssa-silva

December 14, 2022 at 7:06 pm

Thanks, DeAnn. It’s so tough. I went to Canine Assistants in Georgia. You went to Companions though right? What do you mean by they shift their focus? I was going to look into them.

• deann-r

December 15, 2022 at 10:26 am

Yes, I’ve gone through Canine Companions. I think they too have an extensive waitlist. I also know of people who have applied and been turned down. Totally my opinion, but it seems like they’ve shifted their focus towards groups that attract more funding like veterans and kids. I guess as a non-profit they need to, but it just feels like they’re not as “need” driven as they used to be. I’m not saying those groups don’t need service dogs. I just think there are a lot more organizations that cater to those groups. They rebranded too taking out the wheelchair from their logo. Even though I understand their reasoning it just rubbed me the wrong way.