SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA A Bittersweet Time of the Year

• A Bittersweet Time of the Year

Posted by deann-r on December 23, 2021 at 2:00 pm

December is typically a holly jolly time of year, but for my family it’s also difficult. Not only is it the month 6 years ago my dad died, it’s also the month my little brother passed away. I still remember that first Christmas without him 36 years later. One of the most difficult parts, having to return Christmas presents already purchased. One in particular sure to be a hit. A voice changer. By pressing a button it would synthesize your voice into all sorts of unworldly sounds. It would drive the rest of us bonkers, but undoubtedly would provide countless hours of entertainment for the little boy who couldn’t run around outside with his friends. Mom approaches the returns clerk and she asks the reason for the return. Mom breaking out in tears giving the clerk no need for further explanation. My heart still aches when I recall that moment.

Some years we choose a theme for our Christmas gifts. A homemade Christmas was the theme the year my dad unexpectedly died from a heart attack. To this day I wonder what he had in mind to make. I’m sure even though it’d be last minute, it would be thoughtful and extraordinary. Like the shelf he made one year for under my windowsill at just the right height to roll under. On cold winter days I organized my music boxes and cat figurines. It’s still in my childhood bedroom which now serves as Mom’s sewing room. Jars of buttons and doodads line the shelf.

Enough time has passed where we can cherish the memories we have. I can smile when I think how much fun Scott would’ve had with the voice synthesizer. The magnet I had tucked away for my dad probably paled in comparison to whatever he had in mind. He would have loved it regardless because it featured a 3D photo I fashioned of a buck from his deer cam. So, even though this is a joyous time of the year it’s a little bittersweet. I’m sure Dad and Scott’s spirits are reunited which makes me smile too.

What memories make you smile this time of year?

deann-r replied 2 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.