• A Word of Encouragement

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 18, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Hey everyone. Hope you all are doing well.

So I wanted to address something that often gets asked at SMA conferences and in various Facebook groups. For new parents, things can be so overwhelming with their child’s diagnosis that they often wonder about their child’s future. This is perfectly normal, and it’s ok to ask others in the SMA community about growing up with this disability.

I just wanted to offer a word of encouragement about living with SMA. I’m 24 with Type II, and I have a great life. I’m a college graduate, a blogger, podcaster and budding comic book writer. Pursuing an education and a career and having an active social life as an individual with SMA is very possible. It’s no doubt harder than it is for most people, but people in the SMA community do it all the time. I know it’s hard to imagine when everything is new and you have a recently diagnosed child, but just know that your child can live a great life. It just might mean that they have to do things differently than others.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or others here about specific questions you have, and read our columns section here on SMA News Today for stories from several SMA individuals.

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.