• Achy Bones and SMA

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 9, 2022 at 9:43 am

Hey all. For the past six months or so, my bones have been hurting. For example, getting dressed has been hurting more. I sprained my foot back in March, and it still hurts when touched. I thought maybe it was low vitamin D or calcium, but my levels look great. Is this something that happens as you get older with SMA? For reference, I’m 31. Wondering if you have any thoughts or advice on this. Thank you!

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • anna

May 11, 2022 at 4:46 am

I noticed something similar a couple of months after I stopped having physical therapy due to the pandemic. In general, deformed bones are more susceptible to aches and injuries, so I try to keep my joints flexible with splints and stretches. I don’t get injured as frequently as in the past, mainly because the older I get the less active I become, so the chances of having an accident are reduced dramatically. When it does happen though, it usually takes weeks to heal.

Regarding your foot, the only advice I have is listen to your body and try to avoid moves and positions that feel uncomfortable because – according to my physical therapist – every time you do something that makes your foot hurt, it’s like spraining it all over again and that can slow down the healing process. A few years ago, I sprained my ankle too and it took about three months to heal although it didn’t look that serious at first. I do remember though that, for a few weeks before it healed completely, it was only a little tender to the touch. Hopefully, this is a sign yours too will stop hurting soon.

• alyssa-silva

May 12, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Interesting that you started feeling that way after you stopped getting physical therapy. I was in the hospital for almost four weeks back in February and didn’t do too much PT. The achy bones thing started prior to then but it definitely got worse after my hospitalization. I’m doing my best not to have my feet touched or moved too much, but it’s so hard. What she said definitely makes sense though. My knees hurt too, but they hurt less and it’s probably because they get touched and moved around less.

• deann-r

May 11, 2022 at 3:56 pm

I often wonder why my elbow aches, then remember that’s the arm I broke 8 years ago. Weather definitely plays a factor although I don’t know why.

When I sprained my ankle years ago they gave me a thing that Velcro’s around the foot to help stabilize it. I’m not sure if it would help your situation. Something similar to this https://smile.amazon.com/ORTONYX-Stabilizer-Stabilizing-Stirrup-Splint/dp/B07DZK7Z93/ref=sr_1_29?crid=15TNWN2Q6SS3I&keywords=ankle+brace&qid=1652302463&sprefix=ankle+%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-29

• alyssa-silva

May 12, 2022 at 12:11 pm

I actually wear AFOs that are similar to that! Getting them into the brace hurts like heck but once they’re secured in they feel safe and protected. They definitely help.