SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA Actors Promote Diversity Through Hashtag #DisabilityIsDiversity

• Actors Promote Diversity Through Hashtag #DisabilityIsDiversity

Posted by brianna-albers on March 19, 2018 at 3:46 pm

The Oscars have been criticized in recent years for a lack of diversity. In response to backlash and boycotts, actors, directors, and viewers have been championing for greater inclusion, from nominees to the winners themselves. Campaigns have centered largely around race, but early this month, actors from all walks of life came alongside the Ruderman Family Foundation to present the hashtag #DisabilityIsDiversity.

The Ruderman Family Foundation advocates for the inclusion of disabled people. Believing that “inclusion and understanding of all people is essential to a fair and flourishing community,” the Foundation calls itself a non-partisan strategic catalyst that cooperates with government, private sectors, civil society, and philanthropies. You can learn more on the foundation’s website or follow them on Twitter @rudermanfdn.

In the following video, actors such as Bryan Cranston and Patton Oswalt discuss the importance of including disability in the diversity conversation. Actress Christina DeRosa, who you may recognize from <i>Jane the Virgin</i> and 2016 film <i>Bad Moms</i>, posits a simple question: “When you talk about diversity, how often do you talk about those who are disabled?” DeRosa goes on to say that, while strides have certainly been made over the past couple of years, there’s still work to do.

Ricky Whittle, known for the hit series <i>American Gods</i>, puts it best: “Too often, disability is left out of the diversity conversation.” Oswalt agrees, claiming that, in order to portray the world with authenticity, disability must be included. “Disability is part of diversity,” Cranston says in summary.

The video ends with the campaign’s slogan: let’s get diversity right.

#DisabilityIsDiversity isn’t the only campaign that championed disability inclusion this year. The Oscars are over, but hashtag #DisTheOscars still sees a significant amount of traffic, and #DisFilm is a recurring Twitter chat for those interested in disability representation.

What do you think of the campaign? Please share your thoughts! 

brianna-albers replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.