• Adventurous Souls

Posted by deann-r on June 11, 2020 at 8:47 am

Participating in the Cure SMA Adult Social Hours this week I realize something. I’m not very adventurous. Therefore I want more inspiration. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done? How did you pull it off? If there’s one thing I learned it’s those of us with SMA have adventurous souls.

halsey-blocher replied 3 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • lupa-f

June 11, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Does leaving Boston at 11pm and driving 4 hours to NYC to go to a dance club then not leaving the club till noon and driving back to Boston count? That might be more dumb than adventurous :).

• patrick-lenihan

June 11, 2020 at 3:16 pm

When I was still able to get around using crutches about a year before making the transition to a wheelchair,  I traveled around Europe for three weeks without any travel companions or care givers. Since making the switch to the chair I have ridden in a sea kayak in Glacier Bay Alaska. The boat I was on had a Hoyer sling hooked to the davit that lifted me out of my chair and set me down into a tandem sea kayak. I frequently take my chair on hiking trails that are not considered “wheelchair accessible” by the Parks Service. My philosophy about trails is I will determine what is accessible.

• deann-r

June 12, 2020 at 9:15 am

Yes Lupa! That totally counts. Sounds like a blast!

I’m with you Patrick, accessible is a relative term. Sounds like fun adventures. Don’t think I’d have enough nerve to try a kayak adventure. That’s awesome!

• halsey-blocher

June 12, 2020 at 9:27 pm

A few weeks ago, my brother took me for a ride in his convertible. Being lifted in and out was honestly kind of terrifying, but the ride was quite nice.