• kevin-schaefer

May 3, 2018 at 9:31 am

I never used the amino acid diet, so my knowledge of it is limited. What are some of the pros and cons of it? Do you think you’ll keep your daughter on it for a while? Or do you eventually want to push toward a more standard diet? I know part of that depends on Spinraza and how well she’s able to consume regular food, but I was just curious.

• michael-casten

May 4, 2018 at 7:58 am

Our daughter has been on this diet for many years and the plan is to keep her on it. We have switched to only having her participate in the feeding overnight. The pros are that she gets the nutrition that she needs and we know she’s getting it. She eats well by mouth but the diet ensures nutrition.

• deann-r

May 4, 2018 at 8:49 am

Curious, what types of benefits have you seen?  Diet was never even discussed when I was a kid, so it’s interesting to hear how it can be beneficial. Is it something a person can implement partially or is it an all or nothing type dietary thing?  I have a million questions, but I’ll start with those.

• michael-casten

May 4, 2018 at 9:48 am

Benefits have included a safe weight gain, increased endurance, and a bit of strength. This diet can be partially or fully implemented. We implement partially as our daughter eats by mouth as well.

• kevin-schaefer

May 4, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for sharing. Yeah when I was a kid diets were discussed, but it seems like the amino acid diet has really grown in popularity in recent years. I’m glad it works for your daughter.

• deann-r

May 6, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Where would someone even begin if they wanted to incorporate this into their diet?  Are there certain labs one would want to monitor?

• michael-casten

May 9, 2018 at 10:12 am

DeAnn,

I wrote an article on the Amino Acid Diet under “Columns” >> “Five Servings of Strength”…maybe that might help?!?

• kevin-schaefer

May 9, 2018 at 11:30 am

DeAnn, here’s Michael’s column: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/05/09/sma-amino-acid-diet-benefits/