SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ How to Apply for the Make-A-Wish Foundation

• How to Apply for the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 10, 2018 at 1:43 pm

For many people living with SMA and other chronic illnesses, the Make-A-Wish Foundation provides kids around the world a spark of hope. Whether it’s a vacation to Disney World, meeting a favorite celebrity or feeling like a superhero for a day, this organization strives to grant as many wishes as possible.

If you or someone you know has a child who is eligible for the Make-A-Wish foundation, the following is an overview of the application process.

Note: this article focuses on the American division of the organization. However, the organization does operate in 45 other countries. Visit the international website for more information.

Eligibility
    The first step is for the organization to determine if the child is eligible for a wish. Any child “with a critical illness who has reached the age of 2½ and is younger than 18 at the time of referral is potentially eligible for a wish,” according to the organization’s website. It should be noted that kids who have already worked with another wish-granting organization are not eligible for Make-A-Wish.

Referring a Child
    Parents, legal guardians, medical professionals, family members and potential wish kids are qualified to submit a referral. You can contact your local Make-A-Wish chapter for more information, or use the online referral form. Upon receiving a referral, the organization will contact the child’s medical professionals to verify their information.

Deciding on a Wish
    The wish is ultimately up to the recipient’s imagination. While some kids already have a wish in mind at the start of the process, for others it takes a couple meetings with their wish-granters to determine what they want. Most wishes fall into one of these five categories, but children are encouraged to think outside the box. The Make-A-Wish foundation grants countless wishes everyday, and you can read about some of the stories here.

Have any other questions about the Make-A-Wish Foundation? Leave them here and someone will get back to you! 

deann-r replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

April 24, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Oh gosh, does this bring back memories.  Sometimes I wouldn’t mind a Make-A-Wish redo because my parents persuaded me to settle for Valleyfair instead of Hawaii.  Oh well.  I do encourage parents to pursue this as a great way to make memories.