SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Are arthritis and SMA related?

• Are arthritis and SMA related?

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 7, 2023 at 5:52 pm

I don’t know if I read this somewhere, but I swear I have heard about it somehow. 

Are arthritis and SMA related at all? Or am I mistaken? 

I’ve started to have pain in my elbows, and they crack frequently. (Anyone else?) So I’m curious if they’re correlated or completely separate issues.

alyssa-silva replied 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • mike-huddleston

November 9, 2023 at 2:35 pm

There are many people dealing with arthritis that don’t have SMA or other similar conditions, so would imagine they are separate. That said, without load bearing and a lot of muscle mass supporting the bones, there could be an increased chance of arthritis or other bone related issues. As an example, I have bone density related issues and take prescription Fosamax, which has actually improved my bone density per the last two annual DEXA scans. So, I guess my take is SMA doesn’t cause arthritis, but the lack of load bearing and muscle mass may allow those types of issues to be more likely? Sorry, don’t know if that makes any sense whatsoever!! 🤨

• alyssa-silva

November 10, 2023 at 7:57 pm

Makes sense to me! That’s what I was figuring, too. I was just curious if there were any publications about it.

I don’t believe I’ve ever had a DEXA scan, but I know my bones are brittle and assume my density is low. Is this something you go for yearly? Have you noticed any changes/feel any different since taking Fosamax? I’ve never heard of this drug before.

• mike-huddleston

November 21, 2023 at 2:48 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. So, my neuro at Hopkins suggested I schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist to discuss bone health. DEXA scans measure bone density, and mine was low. The endo’s recommendation was to take Fosamax, which can be an annual injection or a pill taken once per week. I chose the weekly pill option. One of the measures of bone density is called a T score or T count. Mine has improved on the medication. That means the bones are more dense, thus stronger, and less susceptible to breaks/fractures. I don’t feel any different taking it but appreciate the stronger denser bone structure. I’m not aware of any side effects, but am sure there are some.

Have a nice Thanksgiving, Alyssa!

• alyssa-silva

November 22, 2023 at 10:26 am

Thank you for sharing, Mike. I’ve been feeling like my bones are going to snap at the slightest movement, so this is something I’m going to bring up with my doctor. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

• barry-plunkett

November 16, 2023 at 2:32 pm

I don’t know if they are related? But I have SMA and I have arthritis in my back. My chiropractor advise me of this when I was younger before I even had the diagnosis of SMA. But I do know that the arthritis in my back is very painful. So is it related or is it not? That is a great question. I would love to have the answer.

• alyssa-silva

November 17, 2023 at 8:12 pm

Interesting. I think what Mike said above makes sense. But if I find any publications I’ll share them here. 🙂