SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Article regarding Spinraza and Zolgensma

• lupa-f

February 27, 2019 at 10:08 am

I’m glad someone is pointing out how ridiculous the pricing of these drugs are. Biogen essentially paid $225 million for Spinraza and has made several $billion in profit off of it already in about 2 years (Biogen did not develop Spinraza which it seems a lot of people believe, they licensed it from another company). And since Biogen got away with it, we get to see Novartis set their price off Spinraza’s price and not off anything else. It’s a vicious cycle.

• deann-r

February 28, 2019 at 10:03 am

And consumers have no influence on pricing.

• adnan-hafizovic

February 28, 2019 at 12:16 pm

These high prices of Spinaraza and Zolgensma just show how they are pharmaceutical company think about my own profit. I’ve read many books on conspiracy theories, in which I read that pharmaceutical companies invent new diseases and viruses. It seems that in these books there are truths, sometimes I wonder why monkeys, dogs, cats do not suffer from SMA?

• deann-r

March 1, 2019 at 11:17 am

Ha, I see a movie in the making.  We could even cast disabled actors.  There was a movie called I Am Legend, where a vaccine mutated ended up causing people to become zombies.  It was quite entertaining.

On a serious note though I do think it’s more profitable to treat a disease than cure it.  Still, we’ve made great strides in medical advancements.