SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Avoiding Social Media for My Mental Health

• Avoiding Social Media for My Mental Health

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 6, 2020 at 11:00 am

I’m finding myself checking social media less and less these days. Not because I want to, but because I feel as though I have to for my mental health.

Seeing people carelessly galavanting here and there without a care for how their actions may affect someone is not only making me feel down, it’s also bringing up feelings of anger. And that’s not me. I’m not that type of person, but man it really grinds my gears when people aren’t taking this whole social distancing thing seriously. Especially since it only hinders the disability community more. So I’m trying to simply disconnect and invest more time in things I know will make me happy.

Have you been feeling this way, too? What are some ways to combat it?

deann-r replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • losmi

July 6, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Exactly my sentiment Alyssa; and not just social media, I avoid any news related media.

For me it is not only about people taking this situation too lightly, I get mad when I realize that an official is blatantly lying in to a camera, or when I realize that someone is far too incompetent for the position he/she is holding… so I stay up to date on what is happening but not so much on daily basis. I check in from time to time, but more often I just find out what is happening from other people.

As far as I am concerned I do everything that is in my power to protect myself and others, and when you do that I guess there is nothing more that you can do, and following doomsday-like news every day is not going to help.

When all of this started I re-discovered the power of comedy 🙂 To be more precise, I watched all 3 seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – it streams on Amazon and it is maybe a bit girly but I don’t discriminate like that, if something is of good quality than that is all there is to it. It really helped me in the beginning, my anxiety levels were up quite a bit and watching the show really helped me to get back to my normal self.

I always like watching a good drama so whenever I have some time I watch something heavy and I literally forgot how therapeutic comedy can be; I have now adopted comedy therapy in my life and as soon as I see that my mood is going down I know it is time to watch a bit of comedy every day:)

• alyssa-silva

July 7, 2020 at 9:02 am

Yes, I completely agree with you. The news media isn’t helping all that much either. I live with my parents who love to watch the news, so I typically go in the other room when that time comes. Until there is concrete evidence or solutions for our future, I can’t listen to all the speculation and predictions that seem to change every other day. Or— like you said— the lies.

Oddly enough, I’m finding solace in knowing I’m not alone in my feelings. So thank you for responding. I’ll definitely check out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. My dad and I just finished watching all 7 seasons of Gilmore Girls, another girly show, on Netflix. It was our nightly ritual before bed, and we started right when the pandemic began. We need a new show to watch, so maybe we’ll start there!

• losmi

July 8, 2020 at 4:23 am

Alyssa The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is created by the same person who created Gilmore Girls – Amy Sherman- Palladino! 😀

I watched Gilmore Girls long time ago, but I think Mrs. Maisel is a bit less girly and more funny 🙂

• alyssa-silva

July 8, 2020 at 9:58 am

No way!! Ok, I’m definitely watching now. 🙂

• deann-r

July 8, 2020 at 10:13 am

I concur! It’s a good one.