SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Being a Teenager With SMA

• Being a Teenager With SMA

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 24, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Navigating the world as a teenager is a feat in itself. Being a teenager with a disability is another.

Gabrielle shares her personal account growing up as a teenager with SMA in today’s 31 Days of SMA. As a kid, she never felt “different” from her peers. However, when she got to middle school she explained how to students and even teachers treated her differently.

My heart goes out to Gaby, especially because I was once in her shoes and know what it’s like. No one deserves to be treated that way, but by sharing personal accounts like Gabrielle’s, we can hopefully foster more acceptance in society.

Did you experience a similar situation when you were in school? How did you handle it?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • kevin-schaefer

August 24, 2020 at 12:55 pm

I really liked this story. I was fortunate to have good social experiences growing up (I went to a really quirky magnet high school where “normal” was weird), but I still had my own insecurities. Like you said, being a teenager is hard for anyone. I just really admire Gabrielle’s honesty here.