SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Being Told You’re Brave or Inspiring

Tagged: ,

• kevin-schaefer

October 21, 2018 at 12:12 pm

So I did a column about this topic a while ago: https://smanewstoday.com/2017/06/13/sma-i-hate-it-when-people-call-me-an-inspiration/?amp.

I get what you’re saying, and I don’t mind when people who know me tell me I inspire them. If my character and attitude inspires them, then great. They know me, and I appreciate the compliment.

However, if a stranger comes up to me at a bar or restaurant and just tells me I’m an inspiration, it’s annoying. All they know about me is that I’m in a wheelchair, and they make a big deal out of the fact that I’m out with friends or whatever. I agree with the author here that we shouldn’t be applauded for every little thing by people who don’t even know us. We have different challenges for sure, but we’re just living our lives like everyone else. I break this down in more detail in my column.

• kevin-schaefer

October 21, 2018 at 12:22 pm

You’re of course welcome to have a different perspective, but for me it comes down to the fact that I don’t like being put on a pedestal by people who don’t know me.

• ryan-berhar-2

October 21, 2018 at 12:41 pm

I think that’s an important distinction. If a total stranger says it, what basis do they really have for being inspired? They may notice that I’m disabled, and, therefore, that I must face many challenges. But haven’t had a chance to observe my life and how I deal with the challenges. But if someone has seen how I live and is inspired, that is very meaningful to me.

• kevin-schaefer

October 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm

I agree completely, and I think that’s the point this author is trying to make as well. They’re referring to people like that who just tell everyone with a disability that they’re an inspiration.

• deann-r

October 27, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Frankly I think in this day and age people have just become too sensitive about things like this.  While I understand that it seems ridiculous how someone who doesn’t even know you can consider you an inspiration, I think they just can’t imagine living their own lives this way.  Of course if they were dealt the same cards they would in fact continue living their lives as we continue living ours.  Some with better attitudes than others of course.  We’re all human, we all have good days and bad days, but if by living my life it somehow inspires others, so be it.  Who am I to judge?

• ryan-berhar-2

October 28, 2018 at 11:15 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, who really gives a rip? I just thought it’d be good forum material as it seems to be something of a hot button.

• adnan-hafizovic

October 30, 2018 at 11:36 am

I remember once when I went in walk,one man when I pass at his him,he was always happy to see me,because He told me,that I beside my disability I try to do live my life like healthy people.That doesn t bother me of course.