SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What Brought Me Joy This Week: 7/23-7/29

• What Brought Me Joy This Week: 7/23-7/29

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 30, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Hey everyone, hope you all had a fantastic week and weekend. I just wanted to start a new series of posts here, which I’m calling “What Brought Me Joy This Week.” Living with SMA presents different hardships for all of us, but I think it helps to encourage each other by sharing the good things in our lives. In these posts I’ll be sharing the best things that happen in my life each week. Even on weeks in which the bad outweighs the good, I’m going to focus on at least one positive. Also, check out my weekly column on the main site, titled “Embracing My Inner Alien.”

Last Monday I had physical therapy in the morning. I either go in for PT on Monday mornings or Friday afternoons, depending on what my therapist’s schedule is like and how many patients are in the pool each week. I usually prefer Fridays, as spending time in the water is a nice way to cap off the week. Mondays are good too though, as it helps me to start the week off with good physical exercise, and be less stressed as a result. My PT sessions have been going really well lately, and it helps just to do it consistently. My primary PT Jean knows me quite well at this point, and she’s good about making me try new exercises and push my limitations.

On Tuesday night I had the chance to meet with my friend Emily at my local Barnes & Noble. We became friends through a Christian campus ministry in college, and she is now working for this organization as an intern. We talked about her ministry and how I can help, and we also just spent some time catching up. Just as a tip to current college students, post-college life can be pretty crazy. I recommend keeping in touch with good friends from college as much as you can, and especially to keep in mind the people who will help you grow and encourage you in whatever stage of life you’re in. I also go to my local Barnes & Noble almost every week. I love hanging out in the coffee shop, reading, working on writing projects and running into people I know. Especially since I work from home, it’s nice to have a good hangout spot that I can go to after a long day.

Every Wednesday I go to lunch with my Mom and grandparents. We have a deli we like to go to, and my favorite sandwich to get is the grilled chicken on a nice croissant. These weekly get-togethers are great for all of us, and I’m very fortunate that my Mom’s parents live right around the corner from us. The rest of that day I worked, and the podcast for SMA News Today I did that night should go up sometime this week.

The next couple days were busy, but I still had time to relax and hang out at my local comic shop that Friday. It helped to have some time at home to read and watch Netflix after a busy workweek.

Saturday was packed, and also a lot of fun. My friend Christian was in town, and I went with him and my friend Jacob to lunch and a movie. Christian drove me, and we met Jacob at a wings place for lunch, and then walked over to the movie theater to see the new Mission Impossible (which is fantastic). Afterwards we went over to Jacob’s place for a bit, and hung out with some other friends there. Fortunately, Jacob’s new apartment is on the first floor and I could get in without any trouble. I could only stay for a bit though, as I was meeting my sister for dinner that night. Her birthday was last Thursday, and I decided to take her to dinner as her present. It was nice, as it’s rare that we get to spend one-on-one time with each other these days.

Then Sunday I went to church with my caregiver Randy and his fiancé Danielle, church with my parents and did my pop-culture podcast with my friend Rich. I was pooped by the end of it, but it was a great week spending time with friends and family, working and having time to myself.

What did you all do this week? I hope you all have a blessed week ahead.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • michael-morale

August 1, 2018 at 10:59 am

Great post Kevin. I agree, we need to spread the positives in our life.

• kevin-schaefer

August 1, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Thanks Michael! And yeah it helps just to document these things.