SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Caregiver Connections

• Caregiver Connections

Posted by deann-r on February 4, 2020 at 11:00 am

Last week Brianna Albers shared her latest column in a post relating to considering caregivers as family. Halsey’s recent column also deals with the close relationships sometimes formed with caregivers.  At Christmas a former caregiver surprised her with a visit.  Although I’ve kept in touch with a few select caregivers I can’t say I’ve formed a bond with any as close as Halsey and Brianna have with theirs.  Despite having some of my caregivers for over 10 years I still don’t consider them close friends.  It’s not as if I don’t care about their lives, or they don’t care about mine.  It’s more that we have our own lives a part from the job.  In all honesty I’m reluctant to form close friendships with caregivers for various reasons.  One of which being I don’t want them to feel obligated to be my friend.  Do you form close bonds with caregivers?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

February 4, 2020 at 4:43 pm

I’m always reluctant as well because it hurts when they move on to other jobs but, without fail, I end up creating a bond with them lol. It takes me an unusually long time to break down my walls— self-preservation thing— but I eventually cave. Some have continued being a part of my life even though their jobs took them elsewhere, but more often than not, caregivers will tell me they’ll stay in touch then don’t. In some twisted way, I’ve grown to accept it. Nevertheless, it’s still challenging to go through.

• halsey-blocher

February 7, 2020 at 9:06 pm

The relationship that Kim and I have is definitely very unique. I can understand why people might not want to become so close. In other situations, it’s ended up causing me a lot of heartbreak and I’m generally somewhat guarded with my nurses for quite a while. There are only a few that are anywhere near being as close to me as Kim.