SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Ceiling Lift Consultation

• Ceiling Lift Consultation

Posted by deann-r on December 18, 2018 at 10:00 am

Finally the ball is rolling towards a ceiling lift.  It only took 6 months or so, but I actually have a consultation today with the company that would install the ceiling lift.  I don’t really know much about these lifts except for when I used them in the hospital.  I just know it would be a space saver, and fingers crossed easier to use.  Are there any questions I should ask?  I’m sure there are different styles, any in particular to look at or avoid?

deann-r replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

December 18, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Good luck. I’m at a roadblock with the ceiling lift, because they won’t even sell me one as there’s no one around here to install it. So not only will insurance not cover it, but I can’t even buy one out of pocket. I’m guessing it’s due to liability concerns.

• deann-r

December 19, 2018 at 11:57 am

It took over 6 months of searching for my caseworker to find a provider that will do it.  Insurance won’t cover it but the waiver I’m on should.  The guy who came out said they do about a dozen or so every year.  Once they get the go ahead, it shouldn’t take much to install I guess.

• adnan-hafizovic

December 20, 2018 at 11:07 am

DeAnn is ceiling lift better option for you from standard Hoyer lift?For me one best thing in my life is standard Hoyer lift.

• deann-r

December 20, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Adnan, my hope is that a ceiling lift will be easier to maneuver and work better in my small space.  Since I only use the Hoyer for transfers within my bedroom I thought it would be a good option.  I’ll keep my regular Hoyer for backup.