• Sponsored Post

Adapting to Life Outside Our Home With SMA

I once heard a joke that a woman’s mind is like an Internet browser that has 1000 tabs open and running at once. I laughed at the time, but came to realize that if I didn’t actually feel like this before hearing the short acronym “SMA,” I most certainly do now.

I spend much of my time pre-planning and thinking of possible problems that we may run into because of the kids’ diagnoses. I think many other SMA parents do this as well. Prior to our lives with SMA, we didn’t realize just how inaccessible the world is to those who are differently-abled.

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Halsey Blocher.

• Author
        Brianna Albers
        Keymaster

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend!

As you may have noticed, Alyssa skipped last week’s column. In this week’s column, she explains that. If it’d been up to her, she wouldn’t have, but to her frustration, her body made the choice for her. She worked herself to the brink to make sure her nonprofit’s annual fundraiser gala went smoothly, and once it was all said and done, she had to honor her own exhaustion and stick to her boundaries.

This is something I’ve always struggled with. I get frustrated with my body and often push myself too far. I can’t know for sure, but I have a feeling that tendency contributed to the tension headaches I experienced last year. They’ve gotten better as I’ve learned to honor what my body is telling me. When I choose not to, I struggle to accept the aftermath, which is usually more headaches.

Can you relate? Are there certain ways you honor your body?

Halsey Blocher
        Participant

I had to request time off recently because my body demanded it. About two weeks ago I got very sick at the exact same time I had planned to write a column. I was hoping to write it anyway but my body gave me no choice but to sleep. As much as I didn’t like it, my body’s needs had to come first, and I’m grateful to work for a company that understands that!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.