SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Discusses the Importance of Honoring Her Body

• Columnist Discusses the Importance of Honoring Her Body

Posted by brianna-albers on August 12, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend!

As you may have noticed, Alyssa skipped last week’s column. In this week’s column, she explains that. If it’d been up to her, she wouldn’t have, but to her frustration, her body made the choice for her. She worked herself to the brink to make sure her nonprofit’s annual fundraiser gala went smoothly, and once it was all said and done, she had to honor her own exhaustion and stick to her boundaries.

This is something I’ve always struggled with. I get frustrated with my body and often push myself too far. I can’t know for sure, but I have a feeling that tendency contributed to the tension headaches I experienced last year. They’ve gotten better as I’ve learned to honor what my body is telling me. When I choose not to, I struggle to accept the aftermath, which is usually more headaches.

Can you relate? Are there certain ways you honor your body?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • halsey-blocher

August 12, 2019 at 9:21 pm

I had to request time off recently because my body demanded it. About two weeks ago I got very sick at the exact same time I had planned to write a column. I was hoping to write it anyway but my body gave me no choice but to sleep. As much as I didn’t like it, my body’s needs had to come first, and I’m grateful to work for a company that understands that!