SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Columnist Reflects On Journey Toward Treatment

• ryan-berhar

July 5, 2019 at 5:58 pm

My experience was very similar. The difference was that I knew ahead of time that my spine was inaccessible. I was prepared to do the hole drilling surgery Halsey described, but that’s where things went awry for me. I was unable to go through with it due to an insufficient nutrition plan.

• halsey-blocher

July 5, 2019 at 8:54 pm

I heard a lot of people talk about needing to do this surgery because of the spinal fusion, but it wasn’t something that I was ever told I might need to do. I wasn’t at all prepared for what I was told.

• deann-r

July 5, 2019 at 6:37 pm

This article actually brings up a lot of questions for me. Did they just do an x-ray or did they do a CT scan? A CT scan can show much better detail. Were all the options discussed? I get mine through the neural foramen. It’s an approach from your side where they access the spine through the natural opening created where your nerves branch out into your legs. Mine is done with CT guidance. There’s also the option of getting a port placed, or getting cervical injections. Of course each method has its own risks, and it’s totally a personal decision, but I hope all options were explored.

• halsey-blocher

July 5, 2019 at 9:05 pm

It wasn’t your typical x-ray machine. It was actually very similar to a CT scan. I had a CT scan done for a different doctor and we sent the images to them as well, but no one looked at them until that morning. We did discuss the approach you use, but they didn’t feel they could safely do it that way either. Despite my spinal fusion, my back has started to curve again, getting in the way. I’ve heard of people having port put in, but I want to take the least invasive approach possible. The risks of something more extensive are just not worth it to me. I’m hoping that the IV delivery that is used for Zolgensma will be approved for adults.

• deann-r

July 9, 2019 at 10:47 am

At first I didn’t think I’d be able to get it either because of my “bulletproof” fusion, but I’m fortunate they can do it this way as like you I’m not sure I’d do a surgery. Keep your ears open for Risdiplam as well. It’s a daily oral medication that works similarly to Spinraza I’ve heard. Not positive where they are on trials with that one. Fingers crossed approval within the next year? My speculation is that if they do ever expand the label for Zolgensma it would need to be IT delivery for adults, but who knows.

• halsey-blocher

July 9, 2019 at 9:05 pm

I’ve heard of Ridiplam! I’ve been trying to keep up with it but I’m also not sure what phase the trials are in. It kind of blows my mind that it might be possible to treat SMA with something as seemingly simple as an oral medication.