SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Ableist Encounters

• Columnist Writes About Ableist Encounters

Posted by brianna-albers on October 15, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Happy Tuesday! My column for October is about ableist encounters. I’ve experienced my fair share over the years, but recently, there have been some that really stuck out to me. Between the comments themselves and how, when I ignored them, the person said it again and again, as if they needed to know that I heard them …

I try to assume positive intent. I really do. Whenever I express any sort of frustration or discomfort, my parents say I’m reading too much into things. But it’s hard sometimes. Mostly I just wonder why people think those kinds of comments are appropriate. It doesn’t matter if they’re from an older generation — you don’t treat people that way, and you definitely don’t say things like that in public.

Do you struggle with ableist interactions?

mike-b replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

October 15, 2019 at 5:56 pm

I totally understand where you’re coming from. Even though they likely have positive intentions, it’s still frustrating.

• mike-b

October 16, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Ignorant comments like those sound like people just wanting to talk about their own medical condition, as they make your circumstance about them. Sure makes me appreciate a genuine nice nod or smile.