SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Ebbs and Flows of Disability Pride

• Columnist Writes About Ebbs and Flows of Disability Pride

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 19, 2021 at 11:01 am

July is Disability Pride Month, and in my latest column, I discuss how my journey with disability pride isn’t linear. Yes, I am proud of the person I am and that includes my disability, but some days are still challenging. Some days, my disability pride is overshadowed by the seemingly endless feat that everything about my body is out of my control.

In spite of this, I choose pride. For I’ve worked really hard to become who I am today and continue to strive to be better. What are your feelings towards Disability Pride Month? Are you someone who participates in the movement?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • blake-watson

July 20, 2021 at 1:23 pm

Yeah I totally feel this. Sometimes I feel really isolated and/or defeated but other times I feel proud of what I have managed to accomplish. I use the term “accomplish” loosely—an accomplishment to me is anything you are proud of and it need not fit into anyone else’s definition of “accomplishment.”

• alyssa-silva

July 21, 2021 at 11:25 am

Agreed. That’s how I think of the word “success,” too.