SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Losing Weight

• Columnist Writes About Losing Weight

Posted by brianna-albers on April 14, 2020 at 11:00 am

Happy Tuesday! My latest column is about losing weight — which is ironic, really, considering that I’ve always been underweight. I’m healthier than ever, but my parents are worried that I’m getting harder to adjust and transfer. Plus my arms are getting heavier, which makes it harder for me to move. I’m currently trying to figure out how to lose a few pounds without sacrificing caffeine or nutrients.

Have you struggled with maintaining the ideal weight? How do you balance health and maneuverability?

kip-troendle replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

April 14, 2020 at 3:15 pm

As a self proclaimed chunky monkey, I get it.

• kip-troendle

April 14, 2020 at 3:40 pm

Great topic!  I’ve always had a high metabolism; until recent years.  I’m now fighting that middle age spread.  As with you Brianna, my arms have become “fleshy”.  We all know that every ounce of unwanted weight on our arms can be a liability.

Fortunately, I still live under my parent’s roof and mother’s good cooking.  So fairly balanced meals are common.  Yet, I still need to carefully monitor my portions.  I’m a firm believer in eating what you like (within reason), just keep it within moderation.

Recently, I decided to track my protein intake.  My current weight is about 120 lbs., so that means a physically fit person  should be consuming roughly 43 grams of protein.  Unless your drinking a high protein shake, that equates to much more food than my system is use to.  So I’ve lowered my personal daily goal to about 30-35 grams of protein.  Yes, my energy level has increased; and even feel *slightly* stronger.

Eating enough to be healthy and boost immunity, yet not become overweight, is a fine line to travel.