SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Columnist Writes About Getting a New Wheelchair

• alyssa-silva

January 26, 2021 at 4:09 pm

A lot of my new chair is made up of parts from my old one simply because I hate change, and I still miss it. Definitely have patience when making the transition (something I lack). It takes time to adjust as you mentioned from your last wheelchair update in 2014.

Great column. Loved your dad’s shoe analogy— but I’d probably roll my eyes too haha.

• deann-r

January 27, 2021 at 9:02 am

Great article! I’m a few months in and still not loving mine. Unfortunately I switched brands, so I can’t swap out what I liked from my old chair this time. Luckily I have a team that is patient with me. I just need to be patient myself and get over it I guess. It’s not easy though because I know there’s someone in the world who could attach my old joystick mount to the new chair. I just don’t know who.

• greg-sealey

January 27, 2021 at 10:35 am

Glad to hear you got the hand warmer. Mine has been a huge help.

• deann-r

January 29, 2021 at 9:53 am

Regarding the hand warmer, is it something that needs to be added when you get the chair or can it be added after the fact? I mentioned it to my rep & he had no clue about the device.