• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Berhar 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
       Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

Hey everyone, here’s Kala’s newest column. She talks about the importance of medical equipment, and how absurdly long it takes to acquire it. I wrote something similar last week, and I’m glad Kala touched on it as well. It’s a serious issue that people should speak up on. Do you guys have similar issues? Have you learned any tricks to expedite the process?

The Struggle of Getting Medical Equipment

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

I think we can all relate to this. My dad purchased a motor for my wheelchair one time so I wouldn’t be out of commission for a month or more waiting on the process. My only advice is to work on getting things before you actually need it. Kind of difficult when you need to show need, but I jump on any indication I will need it. For example a PCA mentioned my shower chair felt a little wobbly. I have a doctor appointment Monday to get the script.

I’ve been waiting over 6 months for a new bed overlay. What irks me is that the company has it but won’t release it because for some reason they’re not currently a provider for the state (even though they’ve previously released a more expensive item.) Of course I can’t go somewhere else because it’s already ordered or some bs like that. Again I could pay out of pocket, but why should I give them my money when they can’t get their act together. Guessing I’ll end up purchasing it somewhere else before I end up with a pressure sore.

Ryan Berhar 
        Keymaster

In my experience, as long as you still have the item, regardless of its condition, insurance often won’t cover it, as it’s viewed as a “duplicate”. It’s so stupid, because everything wears out and needs to be replaced eventually. Just like people need new shoes after walking in them every single day, our wheelchairs and other equipment wear out as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.