SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Columnist Writes About Struggling With SMA Representation

• blake-watson

August 10, 2021 at 9:58 pm

I love this. I’m somewhat embarrassed of my bad writing but my very first NaNoWriMo attempt (back in 2010!) was about someone like me—cooler than me—with SMA who was an analyst with the FBI. I think I only made it a few thousand words in. I’ve never attempted it again—writing about a character with SMA. But I really want to. I feel like I don’t know how. Also the whole “That’s too much. No able-bodied person will want to read this,” thing. That hit me right in the feels.

An author friend of mine included a character with SMA in her novel. I don’t think it’s published yet but when it is I will definitely post it here. I thought it was pretty well done.

Are your any of books or stories out? Because I’m very interested to see how you did it. ????

• brianna-albers

August 17, 2021 at 12:36 pm

It’s so hard! I’ve been writing for over a decade and I’m still not quite comfortable with it. Good for you for attempting NaNo, though – I’ve only won a couple of times!

I have all my published work up on my website!