SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Taking Digital Detoxes

• Columnist Writes About Taking Digital Detoxes

Posted by alyssa-silva on June 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Happy Monday, everyone. In my latest column, I write about discovering my own kind of digital detox.

Since hunkering down these last few months, I’ve found myself connected and attached to the digital world more than ever. As a result, my mental health began to suffer. And with everything going on in the world today, I knew nurturing my emotional well-being was imperative.

So, I’ve taught myself ways to practice healthy technology boundaries while still being connected to my phone and laptop. After all, these devices are LITERALLY my lifelines. Disconnecting entirely as digital detoxes suggest would be more of a hindrance and unsafe for someone like me.

I explain all of that here.

Do you find yourself needing to set boundaries on your phone or computer? If so, what are your tips and tricks?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

June 1, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Too much screen time definitely has a negative impact on me. Like you, I’m definitely spending more time on my devices now that I’m at home so much. But this week I’ve decided to commit to spending less time on social media, at least for a while. The events of the past few months and weeks has caused my feed to be filled with a lot of hate and bitterness. There’s still joy and compassion too, but the bad stuff is becoming really stressful for me. It’s definitely time to take a step back and focus on some other things for now.

• alyssa-silva

June 2, 2020 at 9:18 am

I’m right there with you Halsey. Lately social media has done more harm than good so it’s important to take a step back when we feel that way. There IS still joy and compassion in this world. I need to remember that.