SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Teaching Children About Disability

• Columnist Writes About Teaching Children About Disability

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 13, 2020 at 11:38 am

I may not know who you are or what you’re all about, but if I were to guess I’d say you’ve had some awkward encounter with a child out in public.

Whether it was incessant staring, a comment made, or pointed fingers in your direction, children have an interesting way of expressing themselves when it comes to a person with a disability.

In my latest column, I tackle this subject and how I have learned to properly, and positively, respond to a child’s curiosity. It took some trial and error before I figured out an adequate response that would satisfy a child’s logic. Because I think “I have a degenerative neuromuscular disease that is progressively weakening my muscles,” would fly right over their heads. 🙂

In all seriousness, though, it wasn’t until a little girl called me ugly and her parents didn’t correct her behavior (you can read about it in my column) that I realized how important it was to communicate with children about disability and acceptance. I’m not sure why parents are so quick to protect a child from asking questions about disabilities.

Can you relate? How do you tell a child about your disability?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.