• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Berhar 1 week ago.

• Author
       Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

Hey everyone, here’s Helen’s newest column. It’s a difficult time for her, as it marks the 22 year anniversary of her son’s death. Being put on the wrong machine contributed to his downfall. This is a good reminder that when it comes to SMA, doctors often don’t know what to do. In my experience, it’s better to consult members of the community who have been there before. What questions or takeaways do you have from this?

‘Tis the Season: Memories of a Fateful Fall Day

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

This article makes me think how far we’ve come over the recent decades. My younger brother passed away December 18th, 34 years ago when he was 4. Funny how those dates stick. Back then the respiratory support was very minimal. He too passed from respiratory failure. Looking back things could have been done differently, but we didn’t know. Even now though, you have to be your own advocate. My last hospital stay was traumatic because a routine surgery landed me on a ventilator. When they tried to extubate they didn’t follow protocol and it failed the first attempt. Thankfully I was transferred to a more knowledgeable hospital, otherwise I might not be here today. By sharing our stories, it may help the next generation. Thank you Helen for sharing. Hugs to you and your family!

Ryan Berhar 
        Keymaster

Did your brother have SMA?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.