• Comfy clothes / vertigo

Posted by aimee on August 10, 2021 at 12:21 pm

My daughter Callie (11 years old, type 2) has recently been complaining about her clothes being uncomfortable when she’s trying to get to sleep.  She sleeps mainly on her side and is able to roll over independently, so she doesn’t have a night nurse to help with turning her or anything. She normally sleeps in a loose t-shirt and leggings. First she had been complaining about her leggings being tight so I got her some softer, loose pajama pants.  Some of them she’s ok with, but the ones with pockets annoy her.  She says that it feels uncomfortable when her shirts get bunched up underneath her, but she also doesn’t like wearing tight clothes. I should also mention that she has autism so I’m sure some of this is a sensory processing thing.  Anyway, just curious as to what others find comfortable for sleeping!  Last night we tried a dri-fit type shirt with flat seams.  Does anyone have suggestions of where to get sensory friendly clothes like that?  Target seems to be trying; that’s where we got the dri-fit shirt.

Another question I had is whether vertigo is common with SMA.  Callie has been feeling dizzy, especially when first sitting up or being lifted.  I will probably get her in with her PCP soon.  Just wondered if anyone else has experience with this!

Thanks in advance for any input!

aimee replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

August 10, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Hoping Alyssa chimes in on this one because she’s the fashion guru of the group. I know she’s struggled with vertigo as well. I did want to offer my two cents though and ask if you’ve tried different bedding options. Sometimes smoother or silkier bedding can allow clothing to slide more easily without bunching up. The struggle is real though. A good night sleep can be ruined by a wrinkled shirt.

• aimee

August 10, 2021 at 3:51 pm

That is a great suggestion!  She recently started using a silk pillowcase to help keep her hair from getting cray cray when she sleeps and asked if she could get a whole sheet set in that material.  I can’t stand the way it feels ???? but it might be worth a try if it would help!  Thanks!

• alyssa-silva

August 11, 2021 at 9:09 am

Hi Aimee! I’m not sure about sensory-friendly clothing, but I do understand her discomfort. I hate when clothes get wrinkly underneath me because it pinches and often causes skin breakdown. I like Athleta because they use performance material so their garments are breathable and cooling. I also wear strapless tops that are tight to my skin when I’m home so they don’t wrinkle. You can get these anywhere, but I get mine at H&M.

As far as vertigo goes, I don’t know if that’s an SMA thing but I have it too. Mine came after a minor head injury but there also might be a genetic component to it, too. My mom suffers from severe vertigo. Although ours is chronic, vertigo can be treatable. Your daughter will have to see an ENT where they will do different maneuvers to her head to realign the crystals in her ears. We all have crystals settled in our ears. When vertigo happens, it’s because they “get loose” and float around in your ear canals. I hope that helps!

• aimee

August 11, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Alyssa!