SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Comicon and Disability Panel Recap

• Comicon and Disability Panel Recap

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 12, 2018 at 7:00 am

[caption id="attachment_15435" align="alignnone" width="300"] From the disability panel at NC Comicon: Bull City 2018[/caption]

What a weekend! I always have a blast at my locally produced Comicon, but this one was special for several reasons.

For one, my caregiver and some friends stayed with me all weekend while my parents went out of town. They had a great vacation, and I had coverage the whole time they were gone. I of course ate a lot of pizza and junk food, which is to be expected when my Mom’s not cooking lol.

Second, I’ve been moderating and participating in panels at this con for a few years now. This year, I took part in a great panel about disability in comics (pictured above). The panel was moderated by my friend Matt Conner (on the right), and the other panelist was my friend Christine Getman from the nonprofit organization Magic Wheelchair. Christine also has SMA, and she and the other folks from MW were there all weekend. For those of you who don’t know about this organization, it exists to create specialized costumes for kids in wheelchairs. They even revealed some new costumes at this show, which I’ll share in another post.

The panel itself though was fantastic. We had a packed audience, and the people who came were genuinely interested in what we had to say about disability representation in comics and pop-culture, and about con accessibility. It was a true joy to talk about these subjects, and to see that people wanted to learn more about how disability and fandom intersect.

I also did two other panels. One was with two comic book creators, and the other was about podcasting. I also met other creators, hung out with friends and cosplayed as Daredevil on the last day (pictured below). I’m exhausted, but it was so worth it.

I hope you all had a great weekend as well. Even if you didn’t, I hope this week will be better. Thanks for reading, and for being a part of this online community.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

November 12, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Great pictures!  Sounds like you had a lot of fun.  Not only that, but seems like it was also informative.  It’s always nice when you can combine fun and functional.

• kevin-schaefer

November 12, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Absolutely! I was really excited by the turnout we had at the disability panel. And people seemed to really enjoy it.