SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Complexity of Planning Celebrations

• Complexity of Planning Celebrations

Posted by deann-r on February 14, 2022 at 9:51 am

Mom is turning 70 in a matter of weeks. She’s not big into parties, but my sister and I are trying to put together something special for her. Since we’re not braving restaurants yet it’s really limiting our options. My sister came up with 2 ideas. One, reserve a private room at a restaurant and invite a few close friends. Or two, lure her out of the house so my sister can set up a brunch at Mom’s house. Since the first option would just be a repeat of her 60th, I’m leaning towards the second. I could tell her my pca cancelled and see if she’d have me out for the day. Then stall when she gets here. Is it weird to set something up at her own place? There aren’t many other accessible options. We’re also debating who to invite. Keeping it small of course. Winter, SMA and Covid really add complexity when I want the day to be about her. Any suggestions?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

February 15, 2022 at 10:36 am

I hear ya. My dad turned 60 while I’ve been in the hospital, so that threw a wrench in our plans as well. Brunch sounds fun! What about hiring a personal chef to come cook you a nice meal at home? Another great gift would be to ask family and friends to send you a short video wishing your mom a happy birthday. Then you could compile them all together into a long-form video for her to have as a keepsake. It’s a great alternative to getting everyone together.